Monday, February 6, 2012

A little bit every day


I was talking with Gail the other day (the good friend that does the techno stuff for our wellness competition) and she mentioned her continuing goal to become more flexible. I don't think she is as stiff as the tin-man (like I am) but flexibility is one of her goals. Because of this goal she stretches ALL THE TIME. She just takes the opportunity every day and throughout her day to stretch, and particularly works on the standing hamstring stretch pictured above. She's been doing it for months now and has seen herself inch closer and closer to the flexibility she desires.

I spoke with another friend at the gym yesterday about my goal to strengthen my body core and how difficult yoga and pilates class are. She agreed about the difficulty of the classes and shared that she has set a personal goal that before she takes a shower every day she does a plank (second picture above) for as long as she can hold it. She has been doing this regularly for some time and has really increased her core strength. She checks her progress with a stop watch.

It occurred to me that while working on goals a few times a week has great power there is something about choosing to work on something every single day. And there is also something exciting about choosing something that we can mark and measure progress.

So your goal for this week is to choose one thing you will work on every day. It doesn't have to be one of the challenges shown above. You might want to do curls, push ups, or anything else of your liking. Try to choose something where you can measure progress. For every day you remember to do your daily challenge you can award yourself 5 points. I hope that you will choose something that you will continue after the competition has ended!


2 comments:

  1. I'm curious to know what others have chosen. If you feel like sharing, let us all know. I have 45 min. to decide. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the plank shown above. Maybe once I get home from my trip I'll add in the hamstring stretch too! I made it a minute with my plank today. Wowsers- it was hard!

    ReplyDelete