Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mix It Up And Have Some Fun!

I don’t know about you but I have a really easy time falling into a rut. In fact my kids would probably tell you I like doing the same ol’ same ol’, and I tend to be resistant to change.

This last week a friend and neighbor invited me to go swimming for fun and exercise. I haven’t had my goggles on for at least a year. And here in Florida we are still enjoying beautiful summer weather. It was like heaven doing laps again and feeling the peacefulness of being in the water. I spent most of my childhood in the pool and had forgotten how much I love it!

With your body movement and work out it really is best to change things up once in awhile. A change in your exercise routine challenges your muscles in different ways, which can help you burn more calories (Yes I was sore after swimming). It can also prevent plateaus in your fitness progress. The change can be made in intensity of work out, setting of work out or type of work out.

So how can you make changes in your personal work out?
1. If you usually walk or run on the treadmill and the weather cooperates move it outside.
2. If you always take the same gym class, try a different one. You might discover something new to love.
3. What did you enjoy doing when you were a child? Perhaps this will give you a clue to something fun to add back into your exercise regimen. Jump on a trampoline, strap on your roller blades, swim some laps, get out the tennis racquet, or spend a few minutes dancing to some music you love.
4. Beef up your intensity. If you have been walking try interspersing a bit of running in your routine or carry some hand weights. If you are taking an exercise class make a keener effort to do the moves more exactly as modeled by the instructor.
5. Add something in. Try some stretching before or after your routine work out or add some basic weight lifting before or after. Make sure all your bases are covered.

(I PROMISE I WILL GET BACK TO AN EATING CHALLENGE NEXT WEEK)
BUT FOR THIS WEEK TO EARN THE WEEKLY CHALLENGE POINTS YOU MUST SPEND EITHER 10 MINUTES OF EVERY DAY’S EXERCISE OR ONE ENTIRE SESSION OF EXERCISE DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE NOT DONE IN THE LAST MONTH. FIND SOME JOY IN MOVING YOUR BODY!





No comments:

Post a Comment